So, I'm feeling a little nostalgic today, thinking about my friends back home, especially when I see Facebook status updates about how they're spending their Saturday...at Farmers' Markets, cruisin' around on boats, listening to concerts at the lakefront, bonding over the amazing Brewers' win, etc. But I'm doing okay. Many of my friends have been awesome since I left, checking in via text messages and Facebook. I've really felt the love from folks back home, and it helps a lot!
Mom is having a rough day today, so I spent the first half of the day trying to figure out how to make her more comfortable. While she took a nap, I played around with a furniture rearrangement in our condo...we'll see if we decide to keep it that way. I also hooked up my Nintendo Wii, with hopes that we can try some active games and get moving a little more when she's feeling a bit better. :-)
In other news, my car was supposed to arrive today, but the company keeps having excuses as to why they are running behind (it's been three days of changed schedules for pick-up and drop-off). Despite the originally-promised delivery of yesterday and then a revised delivery of today between 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM, the driver is now predicting a drop-off around 9:30 PM. When he asked how late he could deliver, I said that I'd rather have it late tonight than wait until tomorrow. When I suggested 11:00 PM as the latest time, he said, "I SHOULD be able to get it to you by 11:00...but I'll call you later to confirm." After about five phone calls back and forth with the car carrier company this week, I'm not holding my breath. It'll be exciting to eventually have my car here, though; I'll like the familiarity of my good ol' Escape.
I am currently listening to a CD that my dear friend Stephanie put together for me before I left. The first half has songs that remind us of each other and fun times we've had together (dancing at Whiskey Bar, going to the Train concert at State Fair last year, watching a favorite local musician of mine perform, etc.). The second half includes songs that she finds inspiring or good "pick-me-ups." Very thoughtful!
So, I thought I might end my blog posts with something I'll call "Random Observations About Arizona," just to clue you in to things I've learned along the way.
Random Observation #1: In Arizona, 1% milk has a blue label and cap, whereas it's yellow in Wisconsin. So, in Arizona, 2% milk has a yellow label and cap, and it's blue in Wisconsin. It may seem like a trivial fun fact to share, but I learned this color switch the hard way when I got home and realized I bought the wrong type of milk. I'm silly, I know...
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
9 years ago

2 comments:
I'm really glad you enjoy the CD! It doesn't even begin to express how I feel about you/our friendship, but I hope it can be a source of comfort during hard (and maybe even good!) times! :)
Hey, kiddo. I'm back at work today - trying to get my classroom arranged, lesson plans organized, and emotions less scattered. In the back of my head, I keep thinking, "isn't it weird that when I was here last, I was contending with all that Ben BS?!" And then I remember June tenth, the last day that you and I were here together. We shared a great lunch and a connection grounded in an empathy that only English teachers would ever understand. Then we celebrated the end of the school year at the Brewer's game. Remember how FREEZING COLD it was...we could see our breath! I'm so grateful for these and all the other memories we shared together at East.
Sitting here now, though, I'm filled with an emptiness that is reminiscent of that "hole in my heart" feeling that I've had every time I've broken up with a guy. You know they're still around, but they will never play the same role in your life as they once did. I suppose it doesn't help that the custodial staff keeps coming by saying, "Gee, it sure won't be the same for you without Barber next door." (FYI, they all wish you the best!) Nope, that doesn't help at all.
But I'm glad to hear that traveling was relatively easy for you and your mom. I'll continue to pray that the hard times are few and far between, and that your strength, compassion, and faith - your best features - guide you through this transition. I'll be in touch, soon!
Post a Comment