Thursday, September 15, 2011

Gettin' it right...and Wright!

I officially started work beyond mere training at the tutoring center this past week.  On Saturday, I went to Sahuaro High School to help administer a practice PSAT test to 40 high school students.  Being there re-energized me and reminded me how much I love working with teenagers.  I go back and forth about whether I'd rather work in the college sector or in the high schools, but I'll just see what God has in store for me when the time comes.  Anyway, after leaving the high school, we went back to the office to score the tests and print out detailed, personalized reports for each student--they tell students what questions they got wrong, what the correct answer should have been, and what types of errors they commonly make (i.e. subject-verb agreements or quadratic equations).  Of course, this free test that Chyten offered is partially a public service and partially a marketing tool to reel in some more clients.  Tonight, we'll return to Sahuaro to meet with the students and parents for a follow-up meeting.  I also started one-on-one work with a girl who is preparing for the English, Reading, and Writing sections of the ACT.  She was a little shy at first, but I was able to bring her out of her shell as the session went on. I look forward to working with her on a regular basis.

Random observation #8:  Frank Lloyd Wright, famed architect of The House on the Rock and the Taliesin, is well-known in Wisconsin.  You may not know, however, that he also had a home called "Taliesin West" in Scottsdale!  Whenever people visit, I always take them to the Taliesin property, not for a formal tour but to take pics next to the tallest cactus I have found around here.  Also, it just so happens that our condo is on the corner of Thompson Peak Parkway (which I will discuss in a future blog entry) and Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd.

I get to see this view almost every day!

My friend Steph stands next to the giant cactus, October 2010.  Dianne has also taken a photo here, although it wasn't available on this computer (sorry, friend!).

 

1 comment:

Dale said...

Hey Ange, I'm a big Frank Lloyd Wright fan... Can't wait to see it when I go out there!