Friday, November 11, 2011

Not a slacker!

Hi, friends.  I used to be pretty diligent about maintaining this blog--and I still intend to post on a fairly regular basis.  Since beginning my second job at the hospital, however, my life has felt 10x busier.

Getting up at 5:15 AM is kinda kicking my butt, especially when I sometimes haven't gotten to bed until midnight for various reasons. If I'm on the road by 6:10 AM, I can usually make it to the remote parking lot I'm assigned to and can catch the 6:45 shuttle to the hospital. The doctor is okay with me arriving to the office any time between 7:00 and 7:15, but I prefer to maximize my short hours by arriving on the earlier end, when possible.  Leaving home at that early hour has provided me some pretty awesome pink and orange sunrises during the drive, though, especially if there are some clouds in the sky. Several were pretty breathtaking and made for at least a mini blessing despite the early hour.

The job itself is okay, but I'm not a "desk job" kind of person.  For anything long-term, I need to be moving around and interacting with people.  For now, however, it's helping pay the bills, which has been a concern since moving out here.

On days when I work both jobs, it feels like a whirlwind: Work at the hospital until 11:30 AM or noon, wait for shuttle and get back to car, drive 30 minutes, grab a quick lunch (sometimes eaten in the car, actually), and then race out the door again for Job #2 at the tutoring agency. The actual tutoring gig is also okay. It's still doing mostly ACT/SAT test prep or "grammar boot camp," which isn't always the most exciting material, but the kids themselves are great. I am concerned that Mom is left alone too much since taking on a second job, though.  Although the jobs are necessary to make money, I am going to try to open up two job-free days a week, partially for my own sanity but mostly to keep the reason why I moved here in the first place in perspective.  My mom needs more TLC.
 
Other than work, I occasionally hang out with Derek.  He's a really nice guy and I feel I've seen him enough to get to know his personality more fully, but I don't believe he is "The One" for me.  Plus, my life is still too unsettled and full to really take on a serious relationship at the moment.  I know that he's having a hard time with that concept because he is ready for more...but we will have to have another talk about where we stand, probably this weekend.
 
That's about it.  I wish I had more interesting stuff to share, but my life has felt like mostly work lately.  This is the first day I've had off completely in a long time.  Looking forward to a mixture of productivity and relaxation!
 
Random observation #12:  Butter and margarine sticks look weird here!  The top one is more like you're used to seeing in Wisconsin (Walmart brand) but the well-known brands come in different shapes and sizes.  Not sure why!
 

No comments: