Sunday, February 26, 2006

How much do you trust your parents?

Sticking with my TV theme, I feel a need to discuss two crazy--yet addicting--reality "dating shows" on MTV.

One is called Date My Mom in which the MOMS of the girls go out on a date with the guy instead. It's really kinda scary what the moms actually say about their daughters: "Yeah, she's got a big rack..." and "She threw up in front of everyone while in a beauty competition." OR, they flirt with the guy: "Is that a zucchini in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" Sometimes the moms dress more slutty than the girls, and it's just frightening all around. Plus, whenever the daughter tells the mom, "Don't tell him about...," you KNOW that info actually WILL come out during the "date." Anyway, the guy chooses the girl based solely on the experience with the mother. Then, they all drive up in a limo and the guy only sees the girl after he has rejected or accepted her. The rejected girls and moms of course then get on camera to stay nasty things about the guy they actually wanted to win over just minutes before. The end of the show is SUPER corny!!! I can't believe I actually watch this show whenever I happen upon it...

The other show, which I just found today (and recognized from my students discussing it recently), is called Parental Control. The premise is that the parents dislike their son or daughter's significant other and want him/her to see who else is out there. (The current significant others DO seem pretty nasty from watching the continuous commentary.) After an interview session with about 6 people, the mom and dad each pick someone to go on a blind date with their son/daughter. Then, the parents and the CURRENT boyfriend/girlfriend actually watch the entire dates on TV together in the living room. At the end of the show, the son/daughter has to choose which of the three people to continue dating. Out of the three episodes I admittedly watched, the person kept the significant other once; the other two times, a new person stepped in, much to the parents' delight.

Would you trust YOUR parents to pick someone for you to date? In all honesty, my parents would probably do a decent job if given a good pool from which to pick. :) Not that I would ever actually go on one of those shows! I think I'll stick with choosing my own men... Ha, ha!

1 comment:

Dale said...

I definitely don't trust my parents... I'd end up with a tall, Chinese doctor. :)