Saturday, September 26, 2009

Revisiting the past

So, I don't know what reminded me of this blog that I didn't keep up very well in the first place, but it popped into my head this morning. After a process of trying to recall my sign-in information and retrieving passwords, I gleefully rejoiced at seeing my old posts from 2006 on here! How crazy...it's like finding a diary from your past. I gotta admit, I laughed aloud at some of my old posts, particularly the one with the student errors in papers.

Back then, I didn't have a desire to be on MySpace or Facebook. My, how things change, especially in the world of social networking! Luckily, I realized that a few privacy settings can keep those students out of my private life. Now, I'm thinking of resurrecting this blog. Not sure if anyone would even want to read it, but many of my friends have blogs. So, why not?

Anyway, I think I'm going to revisit the idea from my last entry two and a half years ago... Songs that remind me of people or events from my past. (Some of you Facebook friends may be mentioned in here or in the next posting, so check it out.)

"Hotel California" by The Eagles

Ah, that song always brings up memories of Senior Ball when Tracy and I (as juniors) went to the dance with two seniors, Shawn and Tony. Tony was driving and for whatever reason, played that song over and over and over again. :) Just hearing the first three notes sends me back to being sixteen years old again. That was a great dance, though...and the bowling afterwards was fun too!

"One Week" by Barenaked Ladies

"Chickety-China, the Chinese Chicken..." Few people can sing this song as quickly and flawlessly as my good buddy, Chad. Muy impressivo! I remember him demonstrating his slick singing abilities on this outrageously fast song back in college but got a repeat chance when we checked out the Barenaked Ladies show at Summerfest this past July.

The entire Watermark album by Enya

Yes, Hawks. Becky and Jenny, that's you! Trying to set a "classy tone" at Hawks, our place of employment in high school, Enya was among one of the few CDs they played there. Which means, if you had an 8-hour shift, you heard that album again and again and again.... Then, of course, you worked the next day and heard it again and again and again... :) After several years away from the album, I was able to enjoy it again--but it still reminds me of my co-worker friends.

"One Headlight" by Wallflowers

Actually, I can't really claim this song as my own memory because it used to remind Becky of Jim back in college, when he drove to Madison for their first date...and one of his headlights was burnt out. Although I didn't see it myself, I remember Becky telling the story, and I still think of them when I hear that song!

"Steal My Kisses" by Ben Harper

Dianne and I rarely hear the original version of this song, but a lot of local musicians cover it. Not sure how it really became "our song" but it did, probably at some point when Ryan and the gang covered it at Rooters last fall. But we also hear Dirty Boogie sing it, LoveMonkeys, etc. Just a fun tune for us, even though we're not actually stealing kisses!

Anything from EXIT

College. I so badly want to relive even a week of that time in my life. I pulled out the original EXIT album a couple weekends ago (you hear that, Ryan and Jason?) and decided a reunion show is definitely in order. :) I'm glad Ryan still whips out those tunes once in a while at his shows around town, but I'd love to see the band come together and make us feel nineteen again.

"Lovefool" by The Cardigans

Speaking of college, this song reminds me of Lany, my freshman roommate in the dorms. I remember coming into the room one night when Lany was listening to this song with her headphones on, singing at the top of her lungs: "Love me, love me, say that you love me!" Looking back, it was pretty cute. I still hear that song on the radio sometimes and always think of her!

"Allison Road" by Gin Blossoms

This song reminds me of the Gin Blossoms show at Waukesha Riverfest that Desiree, Brian, Ben, and I attended as sort of a "double date." I think that was the summer we also played in the volleyball league there at Frame Park. Anyway, it was so long ago--I don't think Des and Brian were even married yet--but I remember that night pretty vividly. (Didn't your sandal break, Des?)

"Meant to Live" by Switchfoot

TJ Schmidt, my old Impact buddy from way back, introduced me to this song and the album in general. I've tried to find him on Facebook since we lost contact shortly after he moved to California, but no luck. Are you out there somewhere?!

Anything New Kids on the Block

Early New Kids = Kelly, Theresa, Stephanie....Recent NKOTB = Melissa. 'Nough said.

Most Dave Matthews Band songs (the first few albums, at least)

Definitely Scott. Besides attending at least two shows together, we listened to those albums a lot. Good memories! ;)

"Ice, Ice, Baby" by Vanilla Ice

Besides the middle school dances, where this song was played twice in the same night, it also fast-forwards me to a karaoke event I was chaperoning at East a few years ago. My students, knowing I knew this song, dragged me up on stage to sing with them... "All right, stop, collaborate and listen, Ice is back with a brand new invention..." (I can do the first verse pretty well by memory--then I fall apart!) I can't believe today's teenagers still know this one-hit wonder from about 17 years ago! Yikes, I feel old...

There you have it. Edition #2 of "songs that remind me of stuff." More to come someday, I'm sure. In the meantime, I'll try to think of other interesting topics for future blogs. I'm gonna try to write more often on here...really, I'll try! :) (I know Dale is shaking his head at me in disbelief right now. HA!)

3 comments:

Becky said...

Angela, these songs bring back memories for me, too! I had completely forgotten about the constant play of Enya at Hawks!

Jim and I went to see The Wallflowers when they came to State Fair this summer. One Headlight still brings back all of those memories of our first dates!

Angela said...

Yeah, I heard "One Headlight" randomly on the radio the other day, and it'll forever be linked to you two!

Glad to have reminded you of Enya. I think Hawks was actually my first exposure to her music, and believe it or not, it was a positive impression...at least the first 10 times I heard the album. :)

Thanks for commenting--it makes my return to blogging official!

Dale said...

Becky from Hawks had her own acronym back in the day...

When I got my new car last year, I had a free 3 months of XM radio, and I was hooked on the 90's music channel... it felt like high school/college again!