Thursday, October 06, 2011

"Take Me Out to the Ballgame"

Last night, I had a chance to see my hometown Brewers play against the Arizona Diamondbacks in Game 4 of the National League Division Playoffs. Seeing as we lost 10-6, I can't say the game itself wasn't a bit frustrating, as the "D-Backs" hit one homerun after another (including a grand slam in the FIRST inning...).  However, it was great to reunite with an old friend from high school—Jessica Smit—who had also moved out here a few years ago. We hadn't seen each other since she and another friend came to Madison for a visit during our sophomore year of college. We thought the Brewers game would be the perfect excuse to come together again! While hanging out for a quick pre-game burger and beer, wouldn’t you know, another Brookfield Central classmate suddenly appeared behind us—Wes Mooney. It was one of those, “Hey, I know you” moments…not the kind of moment you expect to have thousands of miles from home! Wes moved here a few months ago, and I’m hoping to meet up with him at the Casey Jones Grill “Wisconsin bar” I mentioned in the September 27th post. Apparently he frequents that place nearly every weekend for Packer or Badger games. Looking forward to checking it out! 

Anyway, considering we were wearing Brewers gear in enemy territory, I'd say we were treated pretty respectfully with just a bit of good-natured harassment; the night teeter-tottered between people high-fiving and playfully booing us.  There were a number of Brewers fan scattered around our section and around the pre-game bar, so we didn't feel totally alone.  The weirdest part was hearing the roar of cheers or chorus of booing as reactions to the opposing team.  And, man, they hate Prince Fielder out here!  Not only is he an intimidatingly awesome player, but he apparently overlooked the inclusion of the Diamondbacks' hometown hero (Upton) on the National League team at the Homerun Derby...and seeing as the All-Star Game and HR Derby were happening in their own stadium, the decision seemed like a slap in their faces.  Alas, it was great to experience Chase Field (which looks a lot like Miller Park, by the way) and see my favorite hometown players in live action.  I'm hoping the team pulls it together for Friday's final opportunity when they return to Milwaukee!


Random observation #10: Their baseball stadium is in downtown Phoenix, which gives it a different "vibe" than the relatively isolated Miller Park.  They also don't have street parking, so we parked in a structure, walked along palm tree-lined streets and lightrail tracks, and entered a stadium surrounded by skyscrapers.  In general, downtown Phoenix does not have much action or historic beauty to it.  Milwaukee's downtown, in my opinion, seems like a more fun place to hang out, but I still have more exploring to do.

2 comments:

Dale said...

How cool is that!

I really want them to win tonight. I'm just not ready for this season to end yet!

Angela said...

And they did!!! So awesome...